Worship Night

Worship Night
Catalyst Christian Church, Nicholasville, KY

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Media Fast: Day 2

Yesterday was the second full day of the media fast, and honestly, it hasn't been that big a deal.  The most interesting thing that happened was yesterday morning going to the gym.  Now, I am not using my iPod this week, so I was forced to listen to the music that was playing in the gym. 

Having been surrounded by media most of the time, I never really noticed what was actually being said or promoted in these songs.  I had heard these songs a thousand times before, but only through the media fast was I able to really see what these songs were all about.  The first one I noticed was a techno song where the girl kept saying, "I know what I want, and I want it now!" over and over and over again.  She sounded like spoiled brat.  Veruca, sweetheart!

The next song was "I'm a Barbie girl, in a Barbie world."  To say that this song is ridiculous is an understatement, but when I listened to the worldview being presented in this song, it struck me like never before.  The next song was "Dude (Looks Like a Lady)" by Aerosmith- and I love Aerosmith. 

Song after song after song went on like this extolling sex, materialism, immediate gratification,  and the like.  I realized how immersed and bombarded I have been by these messages- in music, on tv, on the internet- everywhere.  I mean, it's everywhere.  Just like a fish doesn't notice the water it swims in, so it was with me and the media I have been swimming around in.  A fish only notices the water it's been in when it is taken out for awhile, then it REALLY notices it.  I've only been media-free for two days, and already just getting bits and pieces is a shock.  I realize how out of step I am with the values being presented 24/7 by music and tv.  I realize how it truly DOES influence me and lay down pathways in my mind that run contrary to Scripture.  I really had no idea until I got rid of it.  Now, I'm not sure I want it back.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Dave,
    Loving this series, but you have to understand I do live in Barbie's house! I will make sure she reads this post. TJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully YOUR Barbie is a little bit different than the one singing that stupid song!

    I'm loving this series too. It has probably challenged me more as a pastor than anyone in the church. I love the old statement- "I've never preached a sermon I didn't need to hear myself."

    ReplyDelete