Worship Night

Worship Night
Catalyst Christian Church, Nicholasville, KY

Friday, November 22, 2013

Why I need an alarm system for my home

I was watching tv the other day and I saw an ad for a home alarm system.  The voiceover said, "This elaborate home safety system protects all that you hold dear; keeping your things safe 24/7."

This time of year always brings out the grouch in me- at least, that's what people say.  I love Christmas and I love Thanksgiving, and I hate the commercialization and materialism that marks what should be a religious holiday season.  Many times I find myself being more grouchy than thankful, more of a curmudgeon than a celebrant, and more of a clanging cymbal than a person expressing love. 

I watched this ad and something just sat wrong with me.  In Matthew 6:19-21, Jesus says, "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

So, number one, I'm not supposed to store up things that a thief would want to break in and steal.

However, this ad was telling me that I needed a security system to protect what Jesus said not to have in the first place.

How many of us will not only disobey Matthew 6:19, but also will buy a home security system to protect it?

Now, I'm not against home security systems.  There are people who live in neighborhoods where they do not feel safe and they need something if someone were to break in to try to hurt or kill them.  I get that.  I am not knocking home security systems.

I'm upset by the need for them.

I'm upset that Christians would live lives of such affluence that they feel the need to protect that which Jesus said not to have.

I'm upset that Christians place such a high premium on worldly goods.

I'm upset that there are some Christians whose attachment to "treasures on earth that can be stolen or destroyed" is identical to people who are non-Christians.

I'm upset that the celebration of the birthday of the Man who said, "Do not store up treasures here on earth" is marked by exactly what He said not to do- frenzied consumerism, gluttonous buying, sales goals, an onslaught of catalogs, and unbridled materialism rather than a sacrificial obedience to His command and sacrificial following of His lifestyle.

I'm upset that we have designed an entire industry around protecting the very things Jesus said not to have.

I love Christmas.  I truly do.  I love the traditions, the carols, the decorations, the time with family.  I love gathering as a family and lighting advent candles, singing Christmas hymns around a table with my family.  I love what Christmas represents- God's gift of His only Son to a world that would reject Him and crucify Him, not knowing what it was doing.  I love Jesus and what He taught.

I just wish we didn't have anything that a thief would want to steal, and therefore would have no need for security systems.  I wish we all had ALL of our treasure in heaven, where there is no need for a security system.  

This picture pretty much sums up my opinion of Black Friday and the ensuing holiday shopping season:

See why people call me a grouch?  I'm truly sorry- I don't mean to insult anyone or be a grouch.  It's just that when I read Matthew 6:19, and I look at the season coming upon us with all the buying and consuming and "storing up of treasures here," I just can't get them to coincide.  Could it be that Jesus would have us celebrate His birthday much differently than we celebrate it?
 

22 comments:

  1. Home alarm systems are significant, whatever beliefs we may hold. Mainly because it entails our own well-being, as it helps us pay attention to those who may try to sneak up and do us harm at all days and nights. It is basically our civic obligation to do so for our family, as well as ourselves. That's part of being a good Christian, and a good person overall.

    Anthony Nguyen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your comments, Anthony, as I have a wife and three children and their safety is paramount. That, however, wasn't the point of this post. It wasn't to bash alarm systems- it was to call attention to the materialism and consumerism that is a blind spot to so many people in this country. Here is the sequence- 1) Jesus says to store up treasure in heaven, not on earth "where moth and rust destroy, where thieves break in and steal." 2) We store up treasures on earth. 3) We realize that by storing up treasures on earth, thieves will break in and steal. 4) We have a decision to make- get rid of the stuff and put our treasure in heaven, like Jesus said; or, buy an alarm system so that I can keep thieves from doing exactly what Jesus said they would do if I were to store up treasures on earth.

    So, we not only disobey Jesus' teaching; we buy an alarm system so that we can safely disobey Jesus' teaching. Right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with other commenters. Having alarm systems in your premises does not just imply that you treasure material possessions. That’s a very deep interpretation of you. Home alarms play a huge role in providing extra protection to keep you and your family away from dangers like fire events or a theft gone wrong (that leads to murder). A friend of mine, professional installs alarm systems in Sydney and he says that he fitted many different systems for different people of all walks of life. I wouldn’t worry about what people say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Now, I'm not against home security systems. There are people who live in neighborhoods where they do not feel safe and they need something if someone were to break in to try to hurt or kill them. I get that. I am not knocking home security systems."

      Please read the blog fully before commenting.

      Delete
  4. Really nice and interesting post. I was looking for this kind of information and enjoyed reading this one. Keep posting. Thanks for sharing. home alarm systems melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad I found this web site, I couldn't find any knowledge on this matter prior to.Also operate a site and if you are ever interested in doing some visitor writing for me if possible feel free to let me know, im always look for people to check out my web site.
    home automation near me

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is so much going on in the software testing community with the Ministry of Testing, Applitools' Test Automation University, and Mabl and Lisa Crispin's webinar series, Modeling Your Test Automation Strategy!Serious Security Alarm systems Werribee

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with extra information? It is extremely helpful for me. Báo cháy Hochiki

    ReplyDelete
  8. I further to your pronounce. it's far secure to peer you verbalize from the coronary heart and readability next to citation to this critical difficulty can be without problems observed... control4

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Wow what an article I truly delighted in perusing this I will return again to peruse, And you are searching for best smart home installation near me Please visit us security guard services

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOw that's really interesting article. Everyone need professional security system to protect your home premises form burglaries and criminals. I use wireless burglar alarm to secure my home and family 24/7. It has monitor every minutes in day and night. It easy to use and really helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This article was a real help. I was in search for this sort of article.Security Surveillance System For Home in Austin Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can set up my new thought from this post. It gives inside and out data. A debt of gratitude is in order for this significant data for all,.. poe security camera system

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is truly a great read for me. I have bookmarked it and I am looking forward to reading new articles. Keep up the good work!. home security cameras

    ReplyDelete
  15. I appreciate this article for the well-researched content and excellent wording. I got so interested in this material that I couldn’t stop reading. Your blog is really impressive. Complete Alarm Systems

    ReplyDelete
  16. A great content material as well as great layout. Your website deserves all of the positive feedback it’s been getting. I will be back soon for further quality contents. Complete Home Alarms

    ReplyDelete
  17. There you can download for free, see the first of these data. alarm in offices

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a great list. I saw on the news back around the holidays where you actually should replace smoke detectors every so often because the sensors go bad. They said to hold a smoking candle under yours to check to see if it is still detecting smoke.security cameras for home

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello, I have browsed most of your posts. This post is probably where I got the most useful information for my research. Thanks for posting, maybe we can see more on this. Are you aware of any other websites on this subject. security alarm management service

    ReplyDelete
  20. Alarm systems, CCTV cameras are very useful to protect infrastructure and people also. This is essential nowadays. We are security company columbus ohio and offers security services. contact us for more details.

    ReplyDelete