Worship Night

Worship Night
Catalyst Christian Church, Nicholasville, KY

Friday, November 2, 2012

For pastors (and the people who care about them)

Since many readers of this blog are pastors, I wanted to write to you all today.

I went to a pastor's meeting yesterday put on by First Southern Bank- it was a pastors' appreciation lunch that was very nice.  Being around all the pastors and hearing their stories reminds me how hard a job we have, having to cover a wide range of tasks- some of which we feel qualified for, and others we feel woefully inadequate for.

But then a thought occurred to me- do we ever consider the fact that it may be difficult for our congregations to deal with us?  And then the second thought that followed immediately was this- do we ever thank our congregations for their patience and love as they deal with us?

Yesterday was a day that I realized how patient and loving almost, and I say almost, all the people in the churches I've been at have been with me.  There are always difficult people, but the overwhelming majority of Christians in churches I have known have been the most wonderful, caring, kind, patient and forgiving people I've ever known.  How in the world they can put up with me and my shortcomings, my bouts of self-pity, my bouts of self-righteousness, my lack of empathy, my leading in the wrong direction is beyond me.

Pastors, today might be the day that we realize how patient our congregations truly are with us.  Today might be the day that we realize how they continue to give us try after try, opportunity after opportunity, as we fail.  They continue to support the churches we pastor even when we are messing it all up.  They are quick to overlook our bad moods, our bouts with selfishness, and the times we just flat-out sin.

Now there will always be people who don't do what I just said.  They are quick to criticize, quick to leave, quick to cause problems.  We know that is true.  But that does not describe even 5% of any church I've ever been a part of.  During my time in the ministry I have been surrounded with the most wonderful people a man could ever be around.  I realize that the people in the church, with very few exceptions, represent the very best that humanity has to offer.  For that, I am very grateful.

Today, pastors, in the midst of your difficult job, make it a point to be thankful for the very patient and loving people you are surrounded with . . . .  also known as your church.  Be amazed at how they continue to show up every Sunday morning to listen to you teach God's word.  Be amazed at how much grace they extend to you as a fallen, broken man in need of constant help.  Be amazed that God has provided these people to walk through life with you as your church family.

And to those of you who are reading this that aren't pastors- thank you.  Thank you for being patient with us and for loving us like you do.  Most pastors don't realize how much you care about us and how much you put up with when you deal with us.  Most pastors get criticism from a few, and think that those few speak for the majority.  I know that I've made that assumption before, and it wasn't even close to being true.  We typically only hear from the malcontents, and it's easy to assume that they speak for everyone.  Don't let us do that.  If you are thankful for your pastor, let him know.

How truly amazing the church is.  God bless the body of Christ.

P.S. I am specifically thankful to the people of the greatest church I've ever known, Catalyst Christian Church, for their constant demonstration of God's grace to me every day.  I am so very thankful for all of you and consider it an amazing, undeserved privilege to be called your pastor.  I love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment