Worship Night

Worship Night
Catalyst Christian Church, Nicholasville, KY

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Dogs and Cats

This past weekend, I said in my message that there were two types of people in this world:  dogs and cats.  Whether you are a dog or a cat will affect how you view faith, God, the church, and just about anything else in life.

A dog looks at his master and says, "Wow.  This person feeds me, gives me water, shelters me, scratches me behind the ears, and provides for my every need- he must be god!"  A cat looks at his master and says, "Wow.  This person feeds me, gives me water, shelters me, scratches me behind the ears, and provides for my every need- I must be god!"

Which are you?  Do you look at the cross, at Jesus' ultimate sacrifice and the gift of eternal life, and say, "Wow.  Jesus loves me, died for me, and has given me eternal life- He must be God!"  Or do you look at the cross and say, "Wow.  Jesus loves me, died for me, and has given me eternal life- I must be God!"  Is the cross an echo of your self-worth, is eternal life something you feel you deserve, or is it simply a gift God has given you because He is God?

We have lots of cats in churches and Christian circles today.  Cats feel entitled to grace, entitled to answered prayers, entitled to a place in heaven, and when it doesn't happen, get offended and mad.  They sulk and pout.  They may even criticize God for not giving them what they "deserve".  Dogs, on the other hand, are just happy to be with the Master.  Dogs feel it is a great honor to live in the home with the Master.  

Though I deserve nothing, I have everything.  Thanks to God, that is.  Woof.

3 comments:

  1. It was amazing to see how many people identified themselves, honestly, as cats. We see how much the entitlement culture of America has affected the church. I am of the opinion that the best, if not the only, cure for that is getting outside the US on mission trips/full time mission work to see how God works in people that don't feel entitled to anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that post!

    Have been remembering all the friends we made after Katrina...and you, my friend, always come to mind. Love ya.

    ReplyDelete