Worship Night

Worship Night
Catalyst Christian Church, Nicholasville, KY

Monday, August 23, 2010

Heaven

I was watching a movie called "The Ultimate Gift" a few nights ago with my wife (if you haven't seen it, it's worth watching.  It's very good).  It's about a spoiled rich kid that has to go through a series of tests to get his inheritance. 

One of the tests is that he is to make one true friend.  As soon as he is given this challenge, his credit cards get cancelled, he loses his corner penthouse apartment, his car gets towed, etc.  He has nothing.  The next scene shows him calling all his "friends" to help him out, and none of them want anything to do with him.

What he found out was that his friends were only his friends because they could benefit in some way from him- they liked his parties, liked his apartment, liked his car, liked the money he spent on them, etc.  When that was no longer an option, they didn't want anything to do with him.

I started to wonder if Christians are the same way with God.  Are we "worshiping" God because we want the good things He offers?  Or, like true friends, do we worship God because of who He is, regardless of how it might benefit us?  What if the promise of heaven or the threat of hell were not in the equation?  Would our churches still be packed with people?  Would they be packed with people, not looking for anything in particular, but simply adoring and worshiping God because of how glorious and beautiful, almighty and wonderful He is?

I doubt it.  I wish I could say otherwise, but I know my heart, and I know the hearts of people.  That's why there are so very few real friendships we ever have in life.  That's might be why the Scriptures tell us that the road to heaven is narrow and few find it.  So let me put it this way, "If you could have heaven- no pain, no suffering, all your needs taken care of, beautiful paradise, etc- could you be happy if God wasn't there?" 

No comments:

Post a Comment