Worship Night

Worship Night
Catalyst Christian Church, Nicholasville, KY

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Isn't She Beautiful?

I heard that a pastor named Rob Bell up north did a conference about the church called, "Isn't She Beautiful?"  The gist of the conference was the beauty and wonder of the church.  I am so very glad he did this, because quite frankly, it's very "in" to bash churches these days.  Everyone you hear has something negative to say about the church.  Everyone says the church is full of hypocrites.  Everyone says churches don't reflect Jesus.  Everyone jumps on the church-bashing bandwagon and has their two cents worth.

I used to do that.  I used to be very critical of the church, and Christians.  Maybe because I AM a Christian and do belong to the church.  I don't know.  One thing I do know, though, is that the church is beautiful.  Yes, I said it.  Beautiful.  I have never seen something so beautiful in all my life.  I have never seen a clearer picture of grace, beauty, forgiveness, love, hope, friendship, and passion as I have seen in the church. 

I can already hear the church bash police wagging their fingers like Brainy Smurf saying, "I know a church that  . . . .  (fill in the blank with the latest and coolest criticism).   I do too.  As a pastor, I've been treated far worse in the church than any layperson ever has.  I've been cussed, disrespected, lied about, lied to, berated, undermined, criticized- you name it.  I've also been loved, accepted, supported, believed in, forgiven, trusted, and encouraged.  The very best people I know are because of my involvement in church.  I've seen God work time and time again, and it's always through His church.  I've seen the church rebuild homes after a flood.  I've seen the church feed the hungry.  I've seen the church accept the uncool.  I've seen the church step out in faith and give to missions when it didn't make sense.  I've seen the church rescue human slaves from human sex traffickers.  I've seen the church change entire societies from despair to hope.  I've seen the church restore marriages, restore friendships, break down walls of hostility, and demonstrate grace.  I've seen the church speak for those that have no voice.  I've seen the worst people in the world change, not because of judicial punishment or a life sentence, but because of the grace the church has shown them.

I don't often rant and I don't want to now.  I guess I am just sick of hearing this amazing group of believers being bashed and trashed all the time.  I love the church.  I love the people of the church.  She is beautiful.  So very beautiful.  This weekend we are celebrating the end of the 40 Days of Grace project we have been doing as a church.  The church will be blessed with a party- a huge celebration of God's goodness and grace.  One major part of this weekend will be at least 6 testimonies from people who have had an amazing encounter with God and His grace.  I have already heard most of them, and to see people changed, moved, restored, reconciled to God and people, truly is beautiful.  It all happened through the church.  The beautiful church.  God's amazing church.  Now, every time I think about the church, I think, "Isn't She Beautiful?" 

No comments:

Post a Comment