Worship Night

Worship Night
Catalyst Christian Church, Nicholasville, KY

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

5 Things I Wish I Had Done in My Twenties

Now that I am closer to 40 than I am to 30, I look back and wish I would have done at least five things in my previous decade.  Hopefully you young twentysomethings out there will do these five things and find yourself in a better position when YOU are 38.  I wish I would have:

1.  Bought stocks.  The best time to invest money is in the early twenties so that it can grow with compound interest over the years.  The problem?  I HAD no money in my early twenties.  But, I look at finances now and wish I would have foregone some of the luxuries I felt I had to have and bought stocks.  Lesson learned.

2.  Worn sunscreen.  I'm now having to have pre-cancerous spots treated every year because I thought sunscreen was "stupid."  When my mom reminded me that I could get skin cancer when I was 40, I said, "Well, by the time you're forty, your life is pretty much over anyway, so who cares?"  Sigh.

3.  Found a mentor.  I've had to figure out most of ministry on my own, not because there weren't willing people ready to help, but because I didn't want to listen to anyone.  Now I am just figuring things out at age 38 that people could have easily shown me at age 23.

4.  Written more.  I have no real recollection of my children's early years.  They were such a blur, and we were literally holding on hour to hour.  Now that my kids are approaching the teenage years, I would really like to know what thoughts go on at each stage of fatherhood.  I also would like a record of my walk with Christ- my understanding of theology, Scripture, and who God is. 

5.  Become a Navy Seal.  Well, maybe not, but it would have still been cool.

1 comment:

  1. Now that 60 has gone by I look back and share some of your feelings. Being smarter with my money would have been a great idea. Sunscreen would have been a good idea. Having a mentor definitely! I have no children to write about but wish I had recorded some of the things I have seen and people I've met. Navy Seal...I don't think so. Believe me, getting shot at is not all that much fun.

    By the way...glad you are having a thought everyday. I can cut down my thinking to maybe once a week.

    ReplyDelete