Worship Night

Worship Night
Catalyst Christian Church, Nicholasville, KY

Thursday, June 14, 2012

"But Daddy!  My backhand is my strongest stroke!" And she burst into tears.

My daughter Casey is a tennis buff.  She loves it- eats it, breathes it, loves it.  A little too much, it seems.  She got her first injury a few days ago.

Her left wrist was hurting, so we went to the doctor to find out what was wrong.  Turns out, it was not a big deal, but the doctor said, "No backhands for a few days."

I've been reading in John Eldredge's book "Walking With God" and remembered a story he shared about being thrown from a horse and breaking both arms the day before hunting season began.  He began ranting and raving at God for the misfortune.  Then, in the book, he said that he was so focused on what had been TAKEN from him that he missed the gift God had given him- time with family, refocusing on God, etc.

I asked Casey what she thought the gift in this situation was.  She looked at me like I had two heads.  "Gift?" 

I said, "Many times, we are so focused on what has been taken from us that we miss the gift God gives us."  I'm real original.  "So what is the gift in this situation?"

She said, "Maybe . . . . .  working on my forehand?"

I said, "That may be one of them.  Has this injury, and your impatience in dealing with it, maybe shown you that you are too driven when it comes to tennis and are in danger of making it an idol to displace God?"

How good are you at missing the gifts God gives you because all you can focus on is what has been taken from you?

No comments:

Post a Comment