Worship Night

Worship Night
Catalyst Christian Church, Nicholasville, KY

Monday, March 25, 2013

It's getting less and less safe to be wealthy

I've been reading with alarm the news stories coming out of Cypress- the government is totally broke and is considering seizing privately earned money from citizens.  Unless I am wrong, the deal is that the government is taking from people that have accounts larger than 300,000 euros.

It's not safe to be wealthy anymore.

More and more people are feeling entitled to what wealthy people have earned.  Our president has stated again and again how wealthy people have to "pay their fair share."  Congress just raised the taxes on the wealthiest Americans from 36% to 39%.  France raised its highest tax bracket to 75%.  Now Cypress has taken the next step and has actually seized money that had already been taxed- money that was earned and deposited in a bank because the person believed his money would be safe there.

This bothers me for two reasons.

One, I hate the sense of entitlement that pervades our planet.  It is growing at an astronomical rate- people feeling like something they didn't earn is due them.  People thinking that the world owes them something.  People wanting things that others have worked for.  I hate the entitlement mentality, because it shows a complete and utter lack of character.  It caters to the least common denominator.  It's the "I haven't done a single blasted thing to better myself, but someone over there has more than me, and therefore I deserve it too" cesspool of thought that creates discontent, envy, jealousy, and covetousness.  It is pandered to and stoked by politicians who promise things to voters (I need your vote, so I'll take it from the "richies" who obviously stole it from you, even though you didn't work for it and didn't earn it, and give it to you) and has become almost a way of life here in America.

Two, I have never seen anything that started with the wealthy END with the wealthy.  The people who are cheering the sacking and pillaging of the "rich people's" wealth don't realize that they are next.  They are like sheep at the end of the line going into the slaughterhouse, cheering the slaughtering of the ones at the front of the line. They don't realize they are next.

If the wealth of "rich people" is now something the government is entitled to, you can be sure that the wealth of the "poor people" will be something the government is entitled to next.  You can mark my words.

People often ask me why I speak up on issues like this.  They point out that I am not a millionaire, I am not wealthy (by American standards, that is) and none of this affects me.  They are right- none of this affects me RIGHT NOW.  However, I believe "Do unto others as you would have others do unto you."  I don't want my private hard-earned dollars seized by the government.  It's wrong.  Therefore, it's wrong for the government to do it to others.  I don't care how much money they make.  I wouldn't want a bunch of third-world people cheering that my wealth was being confiscated (because I am as rich compared to them as the "wealthy" are compared to me).

Wake up, America.  You do not deserve a single thing you didn't work for.  You do not deserve a single thing that someone else has worked for.  If you want it, work for it.  Taking something you didn't earn is known as theft.  Right now, it's being re-branded as "fairness."  And if you don't wake up, you'll find a whole lot of "fairness" in your bank account where your hard-earned dollars used to be.

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely LOVED your sermon yesterday, I hope ALL get a podcast of it.
    I think we Christians have gotten just a bit too combative, and we have lost our first love. We are now too focused on political combative Christianity, instead of a more salvation mindset. These are the "Days of Elijah" and having coming out of the wilderness, I can see the promise land in the near future.
    Might we start praying for one heart and one soul at a time to be rescued from Satan's grasp, have God remove the filters the enemy has put on them, and have them open up their minds and hearts to the truth of the good news, ~Simple Grace~ and tear down the Jericho-like wall we have built.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Thank you for speaking out for justice.

    ReplyDelete