Worship Night

Worship Night
Catalyst Christian Church, Nicholasville, KY

Thursday, March 7, 2013

The Preacher and the Bicycle

Any time I am tempted to take myself too seriously as a pastor, I come across something like this:

Dear Abby: Regarding your letter about the Ten Commandments, I am reminded of the church minister who told his deacon that someone had stolen his bicycle and he suspected that the thief was a member of his congregation.

The next Sunday he decided to preach a sermon about the Ten Commandments because he felt that when he got to the commandment that says, "Thou shalt not steal," the thief would be shamed into returning the bicycle.

The next Sunday, he was preaching his way through the Ten Commandments, but about halfway through his sermon, he abruptly switched his sermon to another topic.

Later his deacon asked him why he had changed his sermon.  "Well," the minister said, "when I got to the commandment that says, 'Thou shalt not commit adultery,' I remembered where I left my bicycle."

No comments:

Post a Comment