Worship Night

Worship Night
Catalyst Christian Church, Nicholasville, KY

Friday, June 28, 2013

Today, I got a letter from Jesus

It was posted to my Facebook wall.

The top half was written in a language I don't understand.  Underneath, however, was the written translation in English.  It said:

"Beloved David and family,

My name is Tejaswini and by grace of God and your prayers and support I am studying well.  I have no one on this earth, but God has given me a beautiful family.  I am very excited about this.  I believe God gave me new parents.  I never write letter like this before.  Waiting here for your arrival.

Yours,
Tejaswini



Tejaswini is one of the orphans that lives in our Catalyst orphanage in India.  My family sponsors her monthly, and we write to her occasionally.  This letter, however, was completely humbling to me.

Here is an 8-year old girl with no one to call family.  She has no mommy, daddy, brothers or sisters.  She is completely alone in the world, apart from the wonderful people who run the orphanage.  The new family she was referring to in the letter is my family, thousands of miles away.  The new parents she was referring to are myself and my wife, thousands of miles away.

In Matthew 25, Jesus tells a parable where He gathers all of humanity before Him at the end of the age.  He separates the good from the bad, as a farmer separates sheep and goats.  He says to the righteous ones, "Come into heaven, all of you, and take your reward.  For I was hungry and you fed Me, I was thirsty and you gave Me something to drink, I was sick and in prison and you came to visit Me."  The people respond, "What are you talking about?  When did we ever see you like that?"

Jesus replies, "Whatever you did for the lowest, the least, the most vulnerable- you have done this for Me."

Orphans are the most vulnerable people in society, with the possible exception of the unborn.  They have no one- no one to tuck them in at night, no one to show them how to brush their teeth, no one to read them stories at night, no one to protect them from evil people.  They have no one providing for them, sheltering them, encouraging them, complimenting them, or teaching them life skills.

They are not adults.  They do not have the ability to care for themselves or provide for themselves.  They are children.  Children who were created by God but who have been denied the blessing of loving parents.  They are the most vulnerable people in society.

They are also Jesus.

When I send sponsorship money each month to our orphanage, I'm actually sending it to take care of Jesus.  When I write a letter to encourage these children, I'm actually writing to Jesus, for as the Scriptures say, "Whatever you have done for the least of these, you have done for Me."

When I receive a letter from one of my sponsored children, I am actually receiving a letter from Jesus.

So many people in this world say that they would love to hear from God.  They would love to see God.  They would love to know Him intimately and personally.  Here's the point- It's very easy to see Jesus:  to hear Him, touch Him, see Him face to face.  Jesus is found wherever people are vulnerable.  Wherever people are uncool, marginalized, orphaned, neglected, and handicapped, Jesus is there.

The Son of God went to a cross and died for me.  He did the most selfless and wonderful thing that's ever been done for me in my whole life.  Nothing else compares.  Jesus has given me life, eternal life, blessing upon blessing upon blessing.  I am so happy that I am able to give a little bit back- not out of obligation, but out of love.  So can you.

I love receiving my letters from Jesus.  I love the childlike wonder and simplicity that He sends in His letters to me.  Last month, Jesus sent me a letter from Haiti.  In addition to the letter, there were childlike drawings of a little Haitian girl holding hands with her American mommy and daddy.

It may be that the Christian life is no more than searching out and finding Jesus in the most vulnerable ones in society.  He is there, waiting to be loved in the people we are least likely to interact with.  He exists within the uncool, the unpopular, the invalid, the elderly, widows, orphans, handicapped, and abused.  Whatever you do for the most vulnerable in society, you do for Jesus.

God bless all of you- go out and love Jesus.




No comments:

Post a Comment