Worship Night

Worship Night
Catalyst Christian Church, Nicholasville, KY

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

"What does it profit a man to gain the world, yet lose his soul?"

The guy in the orange jumpsuit continued talking:

"For twelve years I worked for Toyota. All the benefits- especially the 401k- all the money.  My first home was a half-million dollar home.  I lost it in my divorce. I lost it because I was GREEDY. My second house, I built for myself and my new wife. It was foreclosed.

"I would take money out of my 401k- $2500, $5000, whatever- at a time because I was selfish. I am the most selfish person I know. It took me coming here to jail to figure that out. Now, I'm 45 years old and I got nothing.  Nothing. I'm broke. I have no retirement, no home, no job- the people who own my house now got all the stuff. My tables, my chairs, my bed- they have it all now."

I looked at him and said, "Jesus said, "What does it profit a man to gain the whole world-"

He finished the quote, "-and lose your soul! Exactly. That's exactly what I was doing out there.  I had gained the world but I had lost my soul. I used to be a preacher in a church (true story, actually). I used to preach and lead people to the Lord, I used to baptize people, I used to counsel people and heal their marriages. But I started using drugs, then started selling, all because I wanted what this world could give me. And I got it. I gained the whole world, yet in the process I lost my soul."

Tears appeared in his eyes. He was quiet for a minute as he attempted to compose himself. The other inmates were silent too.  I waited and as he composed himself, he continued.

"My wife has decided to stay with me, though. When I get out, we are moving out of here to another state.  I'm getting back into the ministry. But this time I'm just going to love people- I'm just going to help people know they have a purpose.

"I've gained my soul and lost the world. And it's the happiest I've ever been."

I answered, "It would seem that the two are mutually exclusive. The more of the world you get- money, power, position, status, etc- the less you have of your soul.  And vice versa. The less of the world you get, the MORE you have your soul.  True?"

He said, "It certainly seems that way."

Jesus said it Himself, "What does it profit a man to gain the world but lose his soul?" That's a good question. But is He really serious about it? Why can't we have it both ways?

Why can't we be successful, happy, prosperous, popular, wealthy ANDS spiritual? Why are those two mutually exclusive?

I don't think they automatically are.  I have known wealthy people who are completely sold out and committed to Jesus Christ.  I have known poor people who want nothing to do with Him. I don't think that being successful, happy, prosperous, popular and wealthy are an automatic death sentence to a person's faith.  I think it all comes down to what you value most.

Is God your treasure? Is He of supreme value and worth to you?  So much that you would gladly give up all you have if He commanded you to?

Or is God simply third or fourth on the priority list, and your wealth and status of paramount importance?

Those are the questions every Christian must answer.  The inmate in the orange jumpsuit had answered those questions incorrectly.  For him, the money earned by selling drugs and the subsequent lifestyle he was able to live was more important than God and His commands.

The CEO of the large company who refuses raises to his lowest paid workers and instead gives himself fat bonuses has answered those questions incorrectly.

The middle-class worker who lives comfortably but whose entire paycheck goes to make himself even more comfortable instead of giving to those in need, or giving to God's kingdom, has answered those questions incorrectly.

The high school student who loves Jesus but who will belittle and mock unpopular students to maintain her high standing in the social quagmire of high school has answered those questions incorrectly.

What does it profit a CEO to gain the world, yet lose his soul?  What does it profit a middle class man to gain more comfort yet lose his soul?  What does it profit a teenager to gain popularity yet lose her soul?

It all comes down to what you value and what you prioritize.  If you prioritize this world and its rewards, you will lose your soul.  You will deny Jesus and His commands.  You will walk away from your faith.  You will increasingly strive for things that will not matter in a hundred years.  You will gain the world, yet lose your soul.

And as you pass from this life into eternity, will it be worth it?

If I may speak plainly and without political correctness, as you enter hell and spend the rest of your eternity there, will it have been worth it?

To the CEO in hell who allowed greed to dictate his company policies- were the few extra million worth it? Were the twenty or thirty years of luxury worth an eternity in hell?  You gained the world yet lost your soul.  You made yourself wealthy at the expense of others.

To the comfortable middle class man whose sole aim in life was more comfort, so much that you neglected the poor and neglected God's commands of giving, now that you are in hell, was it worth it?  Was the hot tub and the surround-sound system and the new clothes worth an eternity in hell?  You gained the world yet lost your soul.  You made yourself comfortable at the expense of others.

To the high schooler in hell who loved her popularity more than the needs of others, was it worth it?  Was being asked to prom by the right guy and being seen with the right friends for three short years worth an eternity in hell? Was the satisfaction you gained by mocking and belittling and ignoring the uncool and unpopular worth it?  You gained the world yet lost your soul. You stayed popular at the expense of others.

The apostle Paul said, "I consider all of it RUBBISH, that I might know Jesus Christ."

To the CEO- consider your fat bonus RUBBISH in the face of knowing Jesus Christ.

To the middle class worker, consider your comfort RUBBISH in the face of knowing Jesus Christ.

To the popular high schooler, consider your popularity RUBBISH in the face of knowing Jesus Christ.

That is how we keep from losing our souls. We must consider the world, and its rewards and all it offers, rubbish.  Junk. Trash. Something to be flushed down the toilet rather than held onto and pursued. Something worthy only of the trash heap.  Something worthy only of being recycled.

Then, and only then, can we truly embrace Jesus Christ. Only then can we truly value and honor Jesus above all else. He becomes our one desire, our one delight, our one and only treasure.  Anything else that comes our way is icing on the cake.

In 150 years, the only thing that will matter to you is Jesus. Why focus on anything else but Him now?


1 comment:

  1. i have something special for you
    today!
    This Profiteering Software App usually
    retails at $497 but for my subscribers
    it’s FREE!
    This is invite only:
    http://five-minute-profit-sites.net?CCM114

    ReplyDelete