Worship Night

Worship Night
Catalyst Christian Church, Nicholasville, KY

Saturday, March 22, 2014

Fifty Shades of Gray, Magic Mike, and Noah

I've seen plenty of Christian postings talking about Russell Crowe's new "Noah" movie.  Most are against it, saying that it doesn't follow the Biblical story very closely.  I honestly haven't seen the trailers or done the research on it to know for myself.

However, are the people boycotting the "Noah" movie exposing a blind spot in their lives?

What other movies do I need to boycott because they don't follow the Biblical story very closely?

Let me see.  My favorite movie of all time is "Braveheart."  That has lots of violence in it, plus a scene on William Wallace's wedding night where there is nudity.  If I applied the same criteria to "Braveheart" as I am hearing from "Noah," I wouldn't go see that movie.

"Back to the Future" movies blaspheme the name of God over and over and over again, yet I don't hear Christians calling for a boycott of those movies.

And those movies are fairly tame compared with Magic Mike.  My social media feeds blew up with reports of women, who identify themselves as Christian, fawning over Channing Tatum and posting all kinds of remarks about how "hot" he was.

And we fly into a conniption when a movie about a Biblical character comes out? 

I wonder if "Noah" will have any nudity, pole dancing, taking the Lord's name in vain, or any of the other things that Christians are so quick to overlook in movies.  It probably won't, yet, Christians will boycott it. 

I wonder if the review for "Noah" which convinced a Christian woman not to see the movie is sitting on the nightstand next to her copy of "Fifty Shades of Gray."

Christians, sometimes what we get incensed about doesn't make a lot of sense.

Like I said, I haven't seen the "Noah" movie.  I might go see it, I might not.  But I think it is time that we take a look at the blind spots in our viewing choices.  Why is it that we will put up with Jesus' name being used as a swear word?  We don't boycott those movies. 

Why is it that we put up with movies showing couples living together outside of wedlock?  We don't boycott those movies.

Why is it that we put up with perversion, gossip, violence, and other things that are against the Christian faith?  We don't boycott those movies.

But a movie that comes along that doesn't have any of those things in it, we boycott.  Simply because they used artistic license and told the Noah story badly.  We have defined ourselves as people who will gladly support movies that blaspheme God, glorify extramarital sex, celebrate pole dancing and sadomachism . . . .  and can't handle a wholesome story about a guy who saves animals from a flood.

Let's take a real close look at what we get upset about.  I think we have some serious blind spots to deal with in our lives.


No comments:

Post a Comment