Worship Night

Worship Night
Catalyst Christian Church, Nicholasville, KY

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Guarding the Mind

My wife and I have been talking about the two biggest things being marketed- successfully- to women right now.  They are a novel-50 Shades of Gray, and a movie- Magic Mike.

I haven't read 50 Shades and I haven't seen Magic Mike.  Nor do I intend to. 

As I was saying earlier, my wife and I were discussing them.  She was telling me about how so many of the women she works with rant and rave about these two things- how hot they are, how funny they are, how GOOD they are.

My wife told me that in spite of the pressure and the curiosity that is provoked by her co-workers' opinions, she was not going to indulge them.  She said very simply, "I have to guard my mind."

I have not heard those words very often.  In fact, I don't hear those words at all these days.  I am around many Christian people, and they talk about many different things (some wonderful and some not so wonderful), but the concept of guarding the mind is definitely so last century.  Or so it seems.

It seems like any mention of guarding the mind is met with scorn and laughter, or at least a condescending smile.  Maybe people who take guarding their minds (as Scripture commands us to do- Philippians 4:7 and Proverbs 4:23) seriously are just "not enlightened" or "need to lighten up." 

My wife doesn't need to lighten up.  Anyone who knows her knows that she is vivacious, outgoing, and a joy to be around.  If she was ever to be accused of anything, it would be having TOO MUCH fun, not vice versa.  However, she still takes guarding her mind very seriously, and for that I respect her. 

I believe many Christian women, and men, could learn a great lesson from my wife about what it means to guard the most precious resource God has ever given us:  our minds.  It pains me to see Christians running out to indulge these things, and then even worse, ranting and raving on Facebook and in person about how great they are.  As Christians, we are called to be different from the world we live in.  We are called to stand out, to make different choices with our time, our money, our entertainment, and our hearts than the people around us. 


No comments:

Post a Comment