Worship Night

Worship Night
Catalyst Christian Church, Nicholasville, KY

Monday, July 2, 2012

Why Does God Want Me To Do This?

I'm not going to lie.  Sometimes I literally hate doing what God says to do.

My wife called me today and relayed some news that a person (who will remain anonymous) that I literally cannot stand is in the hospital and is in serious condition.  This person has caused me endless headaches and basically is an arrogant blowhard who looks down on anyone and everyone he can.  There.  I said it.  That's exactly how I feel about this person.

My wife said, "Maybe you can go visit him in the hospital and pray with him."

Honestly, I'd rather have a good root canal without anesthesia.

I knew the second that she told me that this is exactly what God wanted me to do.  God has the annoying habit of throwing us into situations that will heal us.  Do I have unforgiveness and bitterness towards this person?  Absolutely.  Does this person like me at all?  No.  Will going and praying with this man, showing him love and concern and visiting him when he is anxious and worried about his health, possibly heal both situations?  Yes.

But do I want to do it?  No.

I think there is a part of me that would rather be bitter and angry than have that taken away.  This is the part of me where pride dwells.  My pride is what we keep me from visiting him in the hospital and treating him as Jesus would.

So, guess what I'm doing this afternoon?

Pray for me, because sometimes doing what God wants is hard.  Sometimes it just really sucks.

And, by the way, it'll probably be one of the best days of my life.  That's usually what follows when you do what God wants you to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment