Worship Night

Worship Night
Catalyst Christian Church, Nicholasville, KY

Thursday, July 19, 2012

The stunning news flew like arrows through the halls . . .

of the palace.  The king was dead.  He had been found in his bed, having died a natural death in his sleep.

"Where has he gone?" asked one of the king's shrewdest advisors.

"Why, he's gone to heaven of course," said the others.

"No," said the one gravely.  "I served the king for many years and traveled with him extensively.  He loved to travel, and would talk about his trips extensively beforehand.  Every detail was planned and anticipated.  But I have never heard him say a word about traveling to heaven.  It was a journey for which I saw no preparation.  I am quite sure he has not gone to heaven."

I heard this story a few years ago and the meaning continues to disturb me.  The reason it disturbs me is because it is true.  When I left for my mission trip to Nepal and India back in February, I had planned for 8 months.  I had raised money, gotten visas and passports, travel itinerary, set up housing, food, contacts, and knew day to day what I would be doing while over there.

That was just for an 18-day mission trip.  How about for a trip to the place where I will spend eternity?

I wonder if our closest friends and family, like that king's advisor, will look at our words, our actions, our preparations, and will conclude that we are someplace other than heaven when we die.  The way the Bible describes it, we spend about .00000000001% of our eternity here on earth, and 99.99999999999% in either heaven or hell.  And yet, do we live like it?  Are you more prepared for a week-long vacation here on earth than you are for an eternity in heaven or hell?

No comments:

Post a Comment