Worship Night

Worship Night
Catalyst Christian Church, Nicholasville, KY

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Oops! I Wish I Wouldn't Have Said THAT From the Pulpit

Someone asked me yesterday, "What is the biggest mistake you've ever made in a sermon?"

We had just planted Catalyst Christian Church and were in our third month when we decided to do a series on Love, Sex, and Marriage from the Song of Solomon.  I was talking about the difference between marital sex and pre-marital sex, and I said the following:

"Sex is like fire.  Now, you can spray lighter fluid on a bunch of logs and light it, and it looks like the real thing.  But soon, it fizzles out.  That's what pre-marital sex is like.  However, marital sex is the real thing.  To get a good campfire going, you need the red-hot coals going underneath.  That kind of fire will keep burning hotter and hotter as long as you've got wood."

As soon as I said the word "wood," I heard a lady laugh.  Then, another laughed, and pretty soon, everybody was laughing.  I realized in that moment that it was probably time to just say a prayer and walk off stage.

Alas, we pastors are human too.  Have a good laugh on me today. 

And remember God loves you and has a great sense of humor.  That's why He put me in charge of a church.

No comments:

Post a Comment