Worship Night

Worship Night
Catalyst Christian Church, Nicholasville, KY

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Why Do We Celebrate Mediocrity?

I was watching "The Incredibles" with my son Sam the other day, and we were watching the part where Mrs. Incredible was giving Mr. Incredible a hard time about not going to their son's "graduation." 

"It's not a graduation," said Mr Incredible.  "He's moving from the 4th grade to the 5th grade.  It's psychotic!  Every year they come up with more ways to celebrate mediocrity!"

That phrase stuck with me, because I believe that what Mr Incredible said was true.  We have become a culture that celebrates things that really aren't worth celebrating.

We feel the need to give medals to kids for simply being on a sports team.  Medals should be earned and given to the winners.  All three of my kids play sports, and I have yet to see any one of them be proud of a participation medal.  They display the trophies and medals that they earned, not the ones they were given by being part of a team.

When I was a soccer coach, I refused to give participation medals.  Instead, I recognized the players that were the most talented, most improved, and hardest working.  I was criticized by at least one parent for this policy.  I simply responded, "Being a part of a team is not something worth getting recognition for.  Do you really think your son will cherish a participation trophy or medal?  It will be in the garbage before the week is out, because it says nothing about your son other than the fact that he showed up for practice and games.  That's not an achievement.  If your son wants a trophy or a medal, make him earn it.  Talk to him, not me."

This culture of celebrating mediocrity has even invaded the church.  It kind of reminds me of what Francis Chan observed when he went back home to China.  Chan is about 5'10" and all his relatives were about 5'4".  They kept saying, "You are so tall!"  Chan responded by saying, "I'm not so tall- you are so small!"

I wonder if we have been around people that are lukewarm for so long that any devotion to Christ, any movement outside the norm of American life, any sign of Christianity whatsoever is met with an exclamation of, "You are so tall!"  If a middle schooler drops his or her head to pray for ten seconds in a school cafeteria, the people around him or her would consider that person to be a Jesus Freak.  We think of someone who simply doesn't smoke, drink, chew or go with girls that do as super-spiritual.

Why do we celebrate mediocrity in the church?  Why is someone who leaves the comforts of home to go to the mission field seen as extraordinary?  That seems to be the norm in the Bible, right?  Why is a couple who refuses to live together before marriage seen as taking the high road?  That's the norm in the Bible.  Why is someone who refuses to indulge in a culture of materialism, live simply, and give sacrificially to the Lord's work in the world seen as a spiritual giant?  They would be what Jesus would refer to as the norm.

I'm not saying those things are bad.  They are actually very good.  I also don't want to minimize small victories in the life of a believer.  We should celebrate every victory over sin, every step of devotion to the Lord, and every decision made to move closer to Him. 

I just don't want to think that a 5'10" person is tall . . . . simply because I am short. 

I don't want to be part of a church that celebrates mediocrity.  I want to be part of a church that celebrates devotion to Christ. 

I don't want to be part of a church that expects participation medals for simply being on the team.  I want to be part of a church that is seeking the crown of glory for finishing strong.

I don't want to be part of a church that holds up the pastors as super-spiritual.  I want to be part of a church that holds up the pastors in prayer.

I don't want to be part of a church that is content.  I want to be part of a church that is restless, always looking for ways to move closer to Christ and accomplish His vision for this world.

I don't want to be part of a church that celebrates decisions for Christ.  I want to be part of a church that celebrates disciples of Christ.

I don't want to be part of a church where the people are friends.  I want to be part of a church where the people live in community with one another, caring for one another, providing for one another, and are in each others' homes constantly like in Acts 2:42-47.

Why do we celebrate mediocrity?  I say we stop doing it. 

2 comments:

  1. Well said, Mr. David.
    There may be some who would not agree; but there would be far more people, who, after deep reflection, would appreciate your thought process.
    Keep it up and LIVE your words....

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a good site post without fail. Not too many people would actually, the way you just did. I am impressed that there is so much information about this subject that has been uncovered and you’ve defeated yourself this time, with so much quality. Good Works! daily cross walk

    ReplyDelete