Worship Night

Worship Night
Catalyst Christian Church, Nicholasville, KY

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

The question I want to ask every Christian

When are you going to start being a force for His kingdom?

Christianity is not about going to heaven when you die, as much as we'd like it to be.  Oh sure, it's a part of it, a pretty nice part of it, but I would say that in the grand scheme of faith, it occupies less than 1% of what Jesus cares about.

Somehow in American Christianity, we've gotten it into our heads that the key definition of a Christian is someone who is going to heaven when they die.  Someone who has been forgiven of their sins and by the grace of God will be welcomed into the pearly gates five minutes after they kick the bucket.

Where in the Bible does it say THAT?

In fact, Jesus spent most of His time on earth talking about something called the "Kingdom of Heaven" or the "Kingdom of God" depending on what gospel you read.  Most of what Jesus talked about, in His parables and in His teachings, dealt with treasuring this kingdom (the parable of the treasure in a field and the parable of the pearl of great price), valuing this kingdom over the things of this world (Luke 14 and the parable of the Great Banquet), seeking the kingdom, serving the kingdom, and building the kingdom.

I always thought that the kingdom was a reference to heaven.  I always thought that when Jesus talked about the kingdom, He was talking about things that would happen after we die.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

I would define the kingdom of God as a place where things are as God intends them to be.  Whenever you love your enemies, there the kingdom is.  Whenever you forgive someone who has hurt you, there the kingdom is.  If your home is a place where God is honored and worshiped, and His rules for the family are followed, there the kingdom is.  If your church engages in Biblical worship and adores God in praise, there the kingdom is.

When you are going to start being a force for His kingdom?

I sat down with a Christian who was upset with his church because he thought there needed to be more classes and Bible studies for the people.  Now, I have no problem with classes and Bible studies. I love them.  However, most churches don't need more of those.

I asked him, "You're 58 years old- why do you need another Bible study?  You've been going to Bible studies all your life.  You've been listening to sermons all your life.  You don't need more teaching.  When are you going to start being a force for His kingdom?"

He looked at me with a funny expression.  "What do you mean?" he asked.

I said, "When will you become a force that brings non-Christians to faith in Christ?  When will you start taking younger men and discipling them for a deeper walk with God?  When will you start doubling your tithe to support missions in persecuted countries where they need it the most?  When will you start being a force for His kingdom?"

He looked at me like I had two heads.  Then he shrugged and said, "I think I'm going to find a church that has more classes."

"So you're like the forty year old who has been in college for the last 22 years because he needs to "get more information,"  I said. "A forty year old who has been in college for 22 years doesn't need more information.  He's afraid of life.  He's afraid of what he's learned, and he's afraid to move outside the safety of the academic classroom and actually do something meaningful.  Same is true with a 58-year-old Christian whose been in church all his life but still wants more "classes" instead of being a force for the kingdom."

See why I get in so much trouble?

I could have been nicer, I guess.  However, I'm not here to make comfortable people comfortable.  I am passionate about people moving out of the classroom and into the real world where Jesus has called us to go (Matthew 28:18-20).  It may be that it is time for you to stop "training" and get in the game.

When are you going to start being a force for His kingdom?

3 comments:

  1. Couldn't agree with you more. Consumer based Christianity. "What can I get out of this?" Unfortunately, they're missing it

    ReplyDelete
  2. The worst part of it, McGoo, is that they miss out on the joys of being Kingdom builders like you and your wife. I would imagine the greatest joy you've ever experienced in your life is your work with the kids in Africa. You would probably say nothing compares.

    If I was a professional athlete that simply went to practice all the time, never played in a game, I would get bored. Very bored. The only reason athletes practice is to perform in the games. Sports would be so very boring if we never got to play a game. I'd probably quit. Maybe that's why people are dropping out of churches- if all they ever get is training, training, training, training, training, teaching, teaching, teaching, teaching- they get bored and leave.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was the problem with a church we spent many years at. It was very good for me at first because it was the first time I really studied the word. The problem came when I had learned and matured enough as a Christian to effectively share the word. They had no real desire to commit to the Great Commission. But I do think your example of the man being a Christian for 58 years brings up a point. You don't have to be a Christian for decades to serve the Lord but it does take a little bit of transition from "milk" to "meat" to grow and learn how to live as a Christian. I most groups of Christians you'll find some people that need more meat then others. And in other groups you might find the majority still on milk.

    ReplyDelete